Our people are what make UNTHA UK tick, so each month we quiz a different colleague on 10 quickfire questions that offer a little more insight into why they’re such a crucial part of the team.
Next up, it’s Executive Support Manager, Sharon Annat… you’ve got exactly one minute – go!
1. What’s the most popular ‘waste’ stream that UNTHA is being approached to help shred at the moment?
2. Describe your favourite/least favourite shredder trial that you’ve watched at UNTHA UK’s HQ – which machine was in action and shredding what?
My favourite was when we shredded a plastic office plant that I’d disliked for ages! I think it went through our very versatile RS40.
My least favourite is books – always sad.
3. Complete the sentence: When it comes to easy-to-shred materials, it’s crazy that the UK isn’t processing more… (and explain why)
… plastics! Although a reduction in manufacturing would certainly help too.
4. What do you think is the most important environmental issue facing the UK right now?
Waste in our oceans/seas.
5. Complete the sentence: There would be greater commitment to recycling in the UK if…
…the consumer had greater awareness. Media exposure is much better than it was, but there is still more that each and every one of us could do to reduce the level of waste we create. Even the smallest adjustment to our waste habits – if made by every person – would amount to a big change globally.
6. Investing in a shredder is a complex decision that clients make very carefully – why do you think they choose UNTHA UK?
It’s not just about buying a shredder. A lot of potential customers don’t know exactly what they need to get the best result…but we do! It’s our job to impart our knowledge and provide the most efficient solution for the best return on investment.
7. You launched a new website last year. What do you most like about it?
It’s a great platform for people to research and learn about what’s available before they come to us. There’s a wealth of industry knowledge on there.
8. Which local/national business do you think deserves a shout out, when it comes to being environmentally considerate?
I always choose ‘Fink’ in our local village here in Boroughbridge. We are a small community, but Fink has two stores! One selling great produce without packaging (!) and the other is an eco-friendly shop where – in addition to buying a lovely range of ‘green’ gifts – you can refill all your household cleaning products. I’ve done my bit by refilling my washing up liquid and handwash which means I haven’t purchased new plastic bottles for these for the last 12 months. Imagine if everyone on the planet did just that!!
9. And who is your environmental ‘hero’?
Ray Mears – having read one of his books I love how he focuses on the natural world, without the need for manufactured products.
10. What’s your main hope for UNTHA UK over the coming year?
To continue to play our part in protecting the environment by helping businesses to maximise their reuse, recycling and recovery potential.