Our people are what make UNTHA UK tick, so each month we quiz a different colleague on a series of quickfire questions that offer a little more insight into why they’re such a crucial part of the team.
Next up, it’s senior engineer Ben Styles… you’ve got exactly one minute – go!
1. What’s the most popular ‘waste’ stream that UNTHA is being approached to help shred at the moment?
2. Describe your favourite/least favourite shredder trial that you’ve watched at UNTHA UK’s HQ – which machine was in action and shredding what?
My favourite was watching the RS40 shred contractor waste (including nuts, bolts, and guardrails etc.)
And my least favourite was an old machine, shredding carpet panels!
3. Complete the sentence: When it comes to easy-to-shred materials, it’s crazy that the UK isn’t processing more…
4. What do you think is the most important environmental issue facing the UK right now?
COVID-19 – the knock-on effect of people being stuck at home, and ordering more products online as a result, increases the volume of packaging waste.
5. Complete the sentence: There would be greater commitment to recycling in the UK if…
…people could see the long-term benefits of recycling, instead of sending waste to landfill.
6. Investing in a shredder is a complex decision that clients make very carefully – why do you think they choose UNTHA UK?
The feedback I generally get is that this is down to the high build quality on offer, but also partly thanks to word-of-mouth recommendations from existing customers.
7. You launched a new website last year. What do you most like about it?
My picture! Seriously though, the whole website feels more polished and accessible.
8. Which local/national business do you think deserves a shout out, when it comes to being environmentally considerate?
Any recycling business who kept going, despite huge challenges, throughout the first lockdown. If the waste industry had ground to a halt, it would have had a hugely detrimental impact on the environment. Our ‘key worker’ status reflects the role we play in the economy.
9. And who is your environmental ‘hero’?
Germany, as a nation – since 1990 they have made huge changes in the way they handle waste and recycling, reducing their waste per capita to a mere 5kg being sent to landfill (in 2018). In comparison, the figure for the UK in 2018 was 69kg!
10. What’s your main hope for UNTHA UK over the coming year?
That the XR continues to be a great success, and that the new shredder lines becoming available (such as the RC and the CR) follow the same trend.